Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

America's Oldest Mom

They say children keep you young - and it's definitely the case for Arceli Keh. America's oldest 'mom' is now 78 but still finds the energy to hang out at the mall with her teen daughter and sing Justin Bieber songs. She draws the line at theme parks though.

Arceli was 63 when she had her baby Cynthia 14 years on and has revealed she has no regrets. The infant weighed 6lbs 4oz and was conceived via IVF, 14 years after Arceli went through the menopause. Arceli said: 'Having my baby gave me a new lease on life.

'I’m more energetic than most women my age because I have to be. I feel it’s my responsibility to do everything I can to make sure my child has the best life possible. I prayed every day of my life for Cynthia, and I’m so grateful she’s in the world. I try to spend as much time with her as possible. We go to the mall, and sometimes my husband goes to the movies with her.'

Arceli, 78, joked she even sang along to Justin Bieber songs. She and her husband Isagani, 75, live off retirement benefits and are careful about what they spend. She said Cynthia wanted to get a part-time job so she had her own money and could help out at home when she is old enough. Cynthia said: “I don’t really notice my parents’ age. There are some things they can’t do, like going to theme parks, because there’s a lot of walking involved.



No regrets: America's oldest mother Arceli Keh of Highland, California, hit the headlines when she gave birth in 1997
No regrets: America's oldest mother Arceli Keh of Highland, California, hit the headlines when she gave birth in 1997
 
Energetic: Arceli, 78, with teenage daughter Cynthia and her husband Isagani, 75
 
'I can go with friends’ parents, though, so I don’t think I’m missing out on anything.' Arceli explained she and Isagani knew there was a chance they could miss out on important milestones in their daughter’s life – but never regretted their decision. She said: 'Sometimes we worry that we might not live to see Cynthia graduate or have her own children.
Loving daughter: Cynthia with family and friends celebrating her birthday

'I pray to God for a little more time to see that happen. We are delighted with our angel. Every day is a blessing and I hope there will be many more.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads